DTA to revise policy on transporting children in strollers on January 1
Published: Expires: 2/1/2011
Effective January 1, 2011 the DTA will change its policy on transporting children using strollers. The existing policy allows children to be left in the stroller while being transported and parked in the areas reserved for disabled passengers. The new policy will no longer allow this practice and will require all children to be removed from the stroller and the stroller folded and stored out of the aisle. Strollers will no longer be allowed to be stored in the area reserved for disabled passengers using wheelchairs, which is located in the front of all DTA buses. Large strollers that cannot be folded and stored under or between the seats will no longer be allowed on DTA buses.
In 2008, the DTA changed its stroller policy on a trial basis. The purpose of the policy change was to make buses more convenient for customers who transported children with strollers. However, during the past two years, the new policy prompted numerous and persistent complaints from elderly, disabled and other customers as strollers often blocked aisles causing congestion and trip hazards within the bus. Several accidents were reported when passengers tripped on strollers or a stroller tipped over. The increased size and use of the strollers frequently resulted in a conflict for the spaces reserved for passengers using wheelchairs, causing service delays. After careful consideration of these issues the DTA has elected to return to the stroller policy that was in effect prior to 2008. The policy is as follows:
DTA STROLLER POLICY:
- Children must be removed from strollers and seated on guardian’s lap or on the adjacent seat, if available.
- Strollers must be of a size that can be folded and stored on the bus.
- Strollers must be stored out of the aisle for the duration of the trip.
- Strollers may not be stored in the seating area reserved for disabled riders or stored on the front storage rack.
- Strollers that cannot be folded and stored out of the aisle will not be allowed on the bus.